Tuesday, 17 November 2009

And all the things I've forgotten about

As soon as I had finished posting the other day, I realized that I had left a few things out.  Like not having water for 2 days, my new found fear of pigs, my new Cypriot driving skills, and a link to CAARI so you can see where I'm living.

So I guess in that order, I'll explain.  The first few weeks I was staying at CAARI quite a few people were coming and going (there's 8 rooms, some with double occupancy).  Most places in Cyprus are on water rationing since last summer as the winter rains were not good over the past few years.  They even had to import water on tankers from Greece but didn't think about how to get the water off the tanker onto the island, so the water was never delivered as drinking water.  (more info about water rationing and the tanker here:  Reuters articleBBC article)  Anyhow, CAARI receives water on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays and it is stored in two large tanks behind the building.  On one Wednesday, we ran out of water.  There was still drinking water, as CAARI gets that delivered separately, but no water for showers, dishes, laundry, and so on.  The director asks the neighbors for some water to get us through to the next day when the water is delivered again and they very generously allow us to pump water from their tanks into ours.  So we basically had no water most of Wednesday and Thursday AND ran out again on Saturday morning.  The only explanation was that the tanks didn't fill or get filled for some reason on the previous Tuesday and possibly Saturday.  But we've had plenty of water since.  It is interesting that there is water rationing but tons of newly built resorts/hotels and homes with swimming pools and lawns.  And golf courses!  Take your next golf vacation in Cyprus where there is a huge water problem but tons of lush lawn for your golfing fantasies.  But I guess that's a whole other thing as ex-pats are the ones building and since the Cypriot economy is running on land sales & development, construction, and toursim, you can't deny them.  But I digress.

And the pigs.  Yes, pigs.  I don't know where this came from, but while tromping around the island for field work I happen upon quite a few pig pens.  They have a roof and some walls/chicken wire, so they're not just roaming around, but the pigs kind of freak out a bit when they notice you even if you make a bit of noise before coming up on them.  But.......the pens are sometimes located around a corner of a dirt road or path so you don't see them right away and then the pigs get a bit upset.  And I don't know what it is exactly that frightens me about pigs, maybe it's their size, but I'm not afraid of cows or horses or goats.  Or maybe it's their intelligence...or the fact that they will eat human flesh....I don't know.  Obviously this is a fear that is not grounded in reality.  I'm sure pigs are great.  And sweet.  And loving.  And scary as hell.

I did mention a recent driving encounter but we'll ignore that minor snafu for now.  I now drive like a Cypriot.  What road rules?  Speed limits are for tourists...well some tourists.  And road markings...who needs them?  So the Cypriots have a habit of parking on sidewalks and leaving their cars running while going into a shop for things.  I usually feel guilty about a poor parking job or parking where I shouldn't, but these feelings are quickly fading.  The other day I needed to grab some cash from the ATM, so I drive up onto the curb with the car half hanging out into busy traffic (very normal, I assure you), leave the car running and cross the street to get cash from the ATM.  I was so proud of myself for conforming.  But then yesterday I ran to the grocery store and was pissed that no one could park within the markers and most cars were taking up 2 spots or parked at odd angles...so maybe I'm only conforming when it's convenient for me :p  But I did copy another car and park perpendicular to the spot markings...ha!  Take that!

The website for CAARI is here:  CAARI homepage.  You can check out where I'm staying if you're so inclined.  They have a few photos of the building there as well.  I'll take some of my own someday.  Really.  Oh, and here's a picture of me and I'm smiling!  So you don't all forget who I am and what I look like.  That could be embarrassing when I return to the States.  The other girls are also Fulbright students.  The girl in the middle is Emily, she left at the beginning of October, and the girl on the end is Thomael.



Matt (other Fulbright) and I almost killed Thomael on a hike this past weekend.  Not really, but she was convinced we weren't going to make it back to the car.  So it was dark (sunset was at 4:42 or something...lame) when we returned but we were on a well marked trail and I had a gps and Matt had 2 flashlights, so we were good.  Plenty of snacks and water.  Just a bit chilly by the end, but we all had sweaters and were wearing pants, so no one was going to freeze either.  We had intended a 4-5K (~3 mile) round-trip hike, but just kept going just to see what we could see.  The day was so nice, nevermind that some sort of hunting season had started and we had to listen to gunfire echos all day, and it was great to get out of the city.  We ended up hiking ~11K (~7 miles) round trip.  I'm dragging her to the gym every couple of days as well, so I'm pretty sure Thomael hates me about now.  I'm sure she'll regret meeting me for several reasons by the time we both leave Cyprus.  Ha ha.

1 comment:

  1. Great posts! It looks like you're having a very interesting adventure! I'd like to "follow" your blog if you add that option.

    ReplyDelete